Thursday, November 30, 2006

My Music CD of the Year: John Mayer Continuum


As the year comes to a close, I have to say this year brought some good music to listen to. For the first time in a while, I actually can say there are at least 5 CDs that came out this year that I have totally enjoyed. But yet the best album of the year by far for me, is the new John Mayer release "Continuum". Why? Well its a combination of alot of things..
John Mayer is a great guitar player, simply put. At the same time he manages to write great songs, and had a decent voice. So all around, a complete musician. While most of his fans seem to be women, men should have no problem admitting they enjoy Mayer. His recent CD did not come out till September 12th, a bit after I was home from my Europe trip, which sucks, as it would have made AMAZING music to listen to on numerous 12hr train rides in Eastern Europe.
Along with his great songwriting of his own, he managed to do a cover of one of the most amazing songs guitarwise i've ever heard. From to me the greatest guitar player who ever lived, Jimi Hendrix. Bold as Love has to be one of my favorite of all time hendrix songs, from the colorful images of the lyrics to just the killer guitar work. Its a song that i've never heard Hendrix do it live, yet according to some web sites that list every concert he ever played he played it before. There is an amazing test/demo version on the 4 disc "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" box set, that is suppose to be the 21st take, an all instrumental version. It was Take 27, that we hear on the album that was released..
Anyway check out the amazing live solo performance of John Mayer doing this song below and if you don't have the album, pick it up, you won't be disappointed. Its only $7.88 on sale at Amazon.. check out the link below.



2 comments:

Görn said...

Hey Ayan,

please continue with your country vy country reviews. I'am looking forward to your germany entry...

Greetings from Portugal

Ayan said...

Ok Germany is up next, and people like you are why I loved Germany so much, it was a great time!!